Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chinese Life

Ok so there are some totally crazy differences in life over here! For instance this blog is NOT easy to get to, so I might have to change sites, i'l keep you posted

I have eaten soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many crazy things already! My host sister took me out for a delicious snack of spicy duck throat the other day, and aftedinner last night a friend was kind enough to buy me a Rabbit head...... WHICH I TOTALLY ATE!!!!! It was the most incredibly thing I have ever done. Eating a Rabbits Head. Be proud New Zealand! I had to litterally tear it open, and then you make your way to the brain... Which taste like rotten egg...... But I did it and swallowed and it stayed down, I have no idea how it stayed down, but it did!

Also the whole attitude towards privacy is totally different over here! Like I share not only a room, but a bed with my host sister! It's so incredibly different to new zealand, it's much less individualistic and much more communal. It's so interesting, like in the shower.. we share a towel! which is taking some getting used to... I'm kindof itching for a new towel but it'll probabbly be rude if I ask! I just keep thinking, if they can put up with it so can I! I'm here to live the chinese way and this is it!!!!

The toilet. The toilet is a hole in the floor! It's such a work out squatting all the time! I'm gonna come back with massive leg muscles :) On the train it was pretty scary, with the constant bumping and lurching of the train.. The floor of the toilet was pretty gross!!! Don't think, just do and count to ten and it's over and you can wash your hands and be clean! The importance of hand sanitizer has also become increasing apparent. It is amazing. Never and I mean NEVER leave home without it!

Ok so, the sharing the bed, hole in the floor toilet and I haven't even got on to hand washing my clothes yet! Probably isn't everybodies idea of an exotic holiday! But It is just so so so so amazing! It's incredible this is how they live, every day every week every month and every year. It's so extremely different and it's not going to be easy but I can adapt! I know I can! This is what I'm here for anyway ::) the extreme culture change, as well as learning the language, the ADVENTURE of China has begun :)

3 comments:

  1. wow! sounds very different but AMAZING fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my idol. Here we handwash undies too but at least the toilets are normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats pretty amazing and so cool that you are taking it all as part of life

    ReplyDelete