Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wellcome to China - Family + Friends Lunch

Ok, I think I just had the most amazing lunch of my life so far. It wasn't so much the food (although the food was amazing!) but more the people! Everybody here is so so so wellcoming!
And although I can hardly understand anything, I CAN UNDERSTAND SOMETHINGS! It is very very basic but there is a level of understanding going on between me and the locals!

Also.... The most amazing thing of my whole exchange.. When I was being asked about New Zealand and myself and my parents the father proudly said "She is my daughter" It was the most amazing feeling!! All those tiny little feelings of homesickness vanished and I started to feel like part of the family :) In turn I responded "yes, he is my father!" And this received a round of applause from the whole table! And of course we were totally speaking inchinese and yes people could understand me!!

I'm still a little afraid of the food though, I have no idea what so ever as to what I am actually putting in my mouth, and when I can't chew it (some things are really tough!) I just have to swallow.. And I have learnt not to ask what I'm eating because the lat two times I have had the response of "just eat it is delicious but if I tell you, you won't eat because it is sick" and then I found out I ate duck intestines so I'm totally adopting the opinion that ignorance is bliss when it comes to the food over here!

Cheers. The Chinese love to say cheers! To anything, it's great! There was just a whole lot of toasts and a whole lot of skulling (the glasses are tiny so it's really not too muc)!
They asked me if I could drink, and with my policeman father sitting next to me I replied "I am 17", they alughed and said "no no but can you drink this?" and like a true kiwi I said in New Zealand I can drink it, and that was that, after that they pretty mich fed me Chinese beer and a whole new round of toasts began! It was definitely a festive family gathering to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment